Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Powder Room Towels...

My home has a powder room that is quite Victorian in decor. It has very dark navy blue with pink roses wallpaper. Being that this room is quite small it is dramatic. I have never found any hand sized towels that look right. So while shopping several months ago I came across a large very luxurious navy blue bath towel. Well, I bought it knowing what I would do. Next I got out a couple of fabrics I liked. Here is my plan...cut the bath towel in half across the middle. Cut a fabric strip to sew to the cut end of the towel.
Here is the towel hung as you would any purchased towel. This is Mr. C's favorite version as he prefers everything super plain.

This is the floral version. The fabric mimics the tiny roses in the wallpaper. I added the lace just because I could and it reflected the more feminine Victorian flair of this powder room.


This is the not so feminine version using a beautiful blue fabric named Fairy Frost and it shimmers with the light. Once again the other end of this towel is the standard plain version so it can be hung either direction.

In this photo I realize it is hard to see but if you look very closely you will see the small stars stitched onto the fabric. It is this detail that really sets this towel apart from a purchased one from the store.
Now instead of the skimpy little hand towel hanging on the rod there is this larger luxurious towel personalized to my powder room hanging ready for use.
Years ago I personalized two complete sets of towels for my grandparents. No photos but I certainly remember all the work put into them. I purchased brown bath and hand towels along with matching washcloths. I purchased some fabulous horse themed fabric. With careful cutting I then machine appliqued the horses to the towels. My grandparents were thrilled with their gifts and it was something they could use. Maybe this gives you some ideas for gifts this year.
I am thinking of making more of these large luxurious hand towels for other bathrooms in the house. Hmmm...maybe even some for gifts for my list this year.
How would you use this idea for your gift giving or personal use?
We are still having a ton of rain and very gray days. In just a few hours we got almost 3 inches of rain. More predicted and the possibility of snow later this week. Spring where are you?
Happy Spring and Birds Who Sing to each of you...




15 comments:

  1. That is the way powder room towels should look! Spring is surely just around the corner....i am just wondering how many corners.
    Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Smart idea! I like the not-so-feminine-look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the touch to the towel!! Looks so pretty! :) ~shelley

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty and so elegant! It lends an even more Victorian feel. :) Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Sherry, that's such an opulent look to your powder room and towels look wonderful! What a lovely memory - the gift to your grandparents too x

    Hope Spring doesn't delay much longer for you. We've a few signs of Spring - daffodils are out in bloom now and a hen blackbird has started building her nest in our back garden.

    Take care x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my word! These are amazing and that wallpaper ... whoaaa!!! .... just awesome! Lucky, lucky you! keeleyxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are certainly getting projects done. Must be spring fever!!! Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful - and yes - what a great idea for personalizing a gift....oh darn - so many great ideas and so little time!! :0)
    I love that shade of blue too, especially for a bathroom against white fixtures - yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sherry:
    Love your beautiful and creative solution. I'm sure your grandparents loved your special labor of love for them, too!
    Hugs from FL
    xoxo
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, these are simply magnificent!!!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks wonderfull, dear friend- and I love your paper on the walls, --and handmade towels,are sure a luxury :)
    Have a lovely week-end-
    and hugs from me.
    Dorthe

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brilliant! I just adore the sweet floral with the navy solid...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! You towels are wonderful and that wallpaper is beautiful!! I don't know if I could do that. I would need a tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just have to give this a try, it seems like I am always making stuff for other people and don't get to my house. Now that I have a ruffle foot for my sewing machine I could go shabby towel crazy! Thanks

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

Thank you very much for visiting my blog. I love to receive comments and read them with much interest.